Whether used as the exclusive source of heat in the home or merely supplementing areas where other heaters miss, a portable electric space heater is a must-have in all but the warmest of environments. But with the literally hundreds of different options on the market, trying to decide which one is right for you can sometimes be enough to make you want to throw up your hands in despair. That’s why we’re here to help. We’ve looked over the options for you, and we’ve whittled them to find those we consider being a Top 10 Best Electric Space Heater based on factors like price, performance, portability, and convenience.
Best Electric Space Heater Product FAQ
We receive a lot of questions from our readers about portable space heaters, so before we delve into the models we’ve named as a Top 10 Best Electric Space Heater, let’s learn a little more about portable space heaters.
1. My House Already Has a Heater. Why Would I Need a Portable Electric Space Heater?
Even homes with built-in, duct-style heating have cold spots, whether it be a particular corner, that one bedroom, or an entire floor. Space heaters provide localized heat delivered right where and when you need it most. Plus, space heaters can help you save energy, which saves money on energy bills. Why heat the entire home if you are spending most of your time in just one area?
2. What Are Different Portable Electric Space Heaters?
There is a wide variety of styles with portable electric space heaters, each optimized for a certain use. For example, oscillating tower heaters are good for covering larger spaces with several people present, as they spread the heat around more evenly. For individuals who want a blast of high heat directed right at them, there are parabolic dish models that radiate heat in a single direction, perfect for a cold garage or workshop but not so ideal for warming an entire apartment. For that purpose, one might consider an infrared heater with a high-powered blower, which can heat air rapidly and circulate it at a higher velocity than most other portable electric space heaters.
3. What Is the Best Kind of Portable Electric Space Heater?
There is no single best electric space heater for all purposes, which is one reason we’ve put together a Top 10 list. If you’re looking for maximum heat at your garage workbench, you’ll want a different space heater than if you will heat an entire room quickly and evenly. Similarly, you’ll want to consider whether options like a remote control, a programmable thermostat, low-energy operation, oscillating motion, and a timer are essential for your purposes, and how much extra you might pay for them.
4. How Much Does a Portable Electric Space Heater Cost?
Even among those models, we named a Top 10 Best Electric Space Heater; we found a great deal of variation in price, from around $20 to over $100. This means you can find a quality portable electric space heater to fit almost any budget.
5. I’ve Heard Portable Electric Space Heaters Are a Fire Risk. Is That True?
While one should always exercise caution when using any heating element around the home or office, there have been significant advances in the safety features of portable electric space heaters. The models we named a “Best Electric Space Heater” all automatic feature shutoff if they get knocked over or overheat, significantly reducing the fire risk. Most of the models we looked at also will automatically turn off after several hours of operation, helping to make sure they don’t run for long periods unattended.
How We Reviewed
Given the vast range of portable space heaters on the market, we limited our scope almost only to 1500W models, which provide enough heat for most purposes. Even then, we found our list included a wide variety of styles, prices, and options. We judged the space heaters on their size, portability, cost, and heating ability to whittle them down to our Top 10.
Overall Price Range
The portable space heaters on our Top 10 list range in price from around $20 to about $115, making them all relatively affordable options for most families.
What We Reviewed
- PELONIS Electric Radiator Heater
- Comfort Zone Oscillating Space Heater
- Presto Heat Dish Parabolic Electric Heater
- Trustech Electric Space Heater
- AmazonBasics 1500 Watt Oscillating Ceramic Space Heater
- Brightown 750W/1500W ETL Listed Quiet Ceramic Space Heater
- Lasko Space Heater
- andily Space Heater Electric Heater
- Dr Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater
- Portable Space Heater, 1500W Electric Heater
PELONIS Electric Radiator Heater
No products found.
This radiator-style electric space heater from Pelonis is among our best electric space heaters because of its dominant performance and user-friendly features, like the digital display and remote control.
- 1500W max power brings the heat, literally.
- Four caster wheels make for easy portability from room to room.
- The 24-hour programmable timer is the longest on our list.
- Radiator-style design provides omnidirectional heat to warm the entire space.
- May be too powerful for some purposes.
- The omnidirectional radiator-style design may not be ideal for use by single individuals or in small spaces.
Pelonis provides a 1-year warranty.
Comfort Zone Oscillating Space Heater
- FAST, EFFICIENT HEATING: Our oscillating space heater uses a forced-fan circulation to heat as it rotates from side to...
- ETL CERTIFIED & BUIT TO BE SAFE: In addition to being ETL Certified, this unit includes an overheat protection sensor...
- OPTIMAL COMFORT: A digital thermostat prevents overheating & stuffiness, while an 8-hour timer with auto shutoff allows...
This oscillating space heater from Comfort Zone is a Top Ten Best Electric Space Heater because it’s one of the best oscillating tower heaters we’ve looked at in this price range. Unlike an omnidirectional radiator design, this oscillating space heater uses forced-fan circulation coupled with side-to-side rotation to spread heat quickly and evenly throughout the room.
- Oscillating tower design spreads the heat quickly and evenly.
- ECO mode helps keep the energy bill down.
- Lightweight design makes for easy transport.
- Automatic fail-safe shuts off the heater if someone tips it over, reducing a fire risk.
- The 8-hour timer is less than the 12-hour and 24-hour timers on some other models.
- Not as powerful as some other models we ranked as a Best Electric Space Heater.
Comfort Zone provides a 1-year warranty on its space heaters.
Presto Heat Dish Parabolic Electric Heater
No products found.
We named the Presto Heat Dish parabolic electric heater a Best Electric Space Heater because of its inferno-levels of heat in a small space. Taking up no more space than a mid-sized desk fan, this Presto heater’s parabolic dish design generates heat equivalent to three times that of a typical 1500W heater, all at only 1000W. It uses a resistive heating element wrapped around a heat-retentive ceramic core.
- Stationary, direct-blast design is excellent for providing directed heat at a desk or on the couch.
- Offers high heat in a compact, energy efficient design.
- Automatic shutoff when tipped over.
- Parabolic dish design not ideal for heating large spaces.
- On the expensive side for its versatility.
- May be too powerful for individual use.
Presto Electronics offers a 1-year warranty on its space heaters.
Trustech Electric Space Heater
No products found.
The second oscillating tower heater to be named a Best Electric Space Heater, this offering from Trustech brings 120-degrees of oscillation to allow you to spread the warmth, heating spaces more quickly and evenly than a directed-heat space heater like a parabolic dish.
- 1500W makes it amongst the most powerful heaters .
- Will automatically reach and then maintain temperatures from 50 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Safety first with automatic shutoff for both tipping and overheating.
- The 8-hour timer is less than the 24-hour timer on some other model.
Trustech provides a 1-year warranty.
AmazonBasics 1500 Watt Oscillating Ceramic Space Heater
No products found.
Another oscillating ceramic space heater to be named a “Best Electric Space Heater,” the AmazonBasics 1500W brings the value you’d expect from an AmazonBasics product, coming in at about half the price of the other 1500W oscillating models on our list.
- 1500W performance at a highly affordable price.
- Compact size (10-inch height) makes it highly portable and perfect for the RV or camper.
- Carrying handle.
- Only 10 inches in height, some users may prefer the heat distribution of a taller tower-style oscillating heater.
- Not for bathrooms or other high-humidity rooms.
AmazonBasics provides a 1-year warranty with this space heater.
Brightown 750W/1500W ETL Listed Quiet Ceramic Space Heater
- Three settings: 1500 watt high heat, 750 watt low heat and normal cool blow fan
- Space heater ETL listed. Overheat protection for safety, automatic shut off if it overheats
- Quiet and powerful soothing radiant heat, perfect for medium size rooms. Adjustable thermostat control for personalized...
Like the AmazonBasics oscillating heater, this space heater from Brightown is a “Best Electric Space Heater” because it captures 1500W performance in a compact design at a reasonable price. While this may not be for everyone, it’s a solid offering for what it aims to accomplish.
- Lower price even than the AmazonBasics Heater.
- Compact, portable design.
- Measures just 6.2 inches by 7 inches by 9.2 inches.
- Some users may prefer a larger tower oscillator to spread the heat more widely.
- Does not feel as durable as some other models on our list.
- Cannot use in bathrooms or other damp/moist locations.
Brightown provides a 1-year warranty.
Lasko Space Heater
- 2 Quiet Settings - including high heat and low heat plus an Auto setting make this electric space heater ideal for...
- Adjustable Thermostat - with digital display allows you to adjust the heater's 1500 watt ceramic heating element. With...
- Remote Control & Built-in Timer - allows you to adjust the heater's temperature, timer, oscillation and more from a...
This oscillating tower-style space heater from Lasko is 23 inches in height, about 2.5 times as tall as the more compact oscillating ceramic heaters from AmazonBasics and Brightown, spreading the heat over a wider vertical area. Like most of the other models on our Top 10, it features 1500W of power.
- Interior heating element keeps exterior cool to the touch.
- Comes fully assembled.
- Less expensive than some other tower-style oscillators on our list.
- Easy-carry grip.
- Digital display.
- Lacks the features of some other models.
- Does not feel as durable as the more expensive tower-style oscillating heaters on our list.
Lasko offers a three-year warranty, three-times more than that provided by most other manufacturers on our list.
Andily Space Heater Electric Heater
- SMALL HEATER MEASURES: 6.2" X 4.74" x 8.3" . Manual controls. Fully Assembled. Carrying handle for easy transport....
- THREE MODES HEATER WITH FAN: 1.High Heat (1500-watt), 2. Low Heat(750-watt ), 3. Fan Only. Power indicator light lets...
- CERAMIC HEATER ELEMENTS: Ceramic space heaters are fast to heat, produce abundant heat without open coils, and are long...
This compact, no-frills offering from Andily made our list as a “Best Electric Space Heater” by being the smallest, least expensive 1500W space heater we reviewed.
- Ultra-compact, ultra-budget friendly design ideal for personal use.
- Measures just 6.2 inches by 4.7 inches by 8.3 inches.
- Molded handle makes carrying a breeze, perfect for the RV or cabin.
- Also includes a fan-only mode, making it useful year-round.
- Lacks digital temperature control, instead uses a low-to-high adjustable knob.
- No remote control.
Andily offers a one-year warranty.
Dr Heater Infrared Portable Space Heater
- Can heat up a large room with Auto Energy Saving Model With High and Low Feature. Tip-over protection and Overheat...
- Dual Heating Systems featuring infrared quartz tube + PTC with 12hr automatic shut-off timer
- IR Remote Control, High Pressure Low Noise Blower with Noise level 39 dB super quiet. Heating can cover for a large...
This unique-looking quartz-tube infrared heater features dual heating systems, allowing it to warm up to 1,000 square feet of space with incredible speed, all while maintaining super-quiet volumes of 39 dB thanks to its high-pressure, low-noise blower.
- Warms large areas relatively quickly by delivering 250 degrees Fahrenheit at 3.5 meters per second.
- Wheeled design makes for easy transport over flat surfaces.
- Large coverage area can heat an entire apartment by itself.
- One of the quietest space heaters on our list.
- At 24 pounds, this is far less portable than other models.
- One of the most expensive models to make our list.
The Dr Heater infrared space heater comes with a three-year warranty, one of the best on our list.
Trustech Portable Space Heater, 1500W Electric Heater
No products found.
This box-like, non-oscillating space heater from Trustech features a digital display, a programmable thermostat, and up to a 12-hour timer. Without wheels or a handle, it is not as portable as some other models on our list, but if you have a large area, you frequently want to be heated quickly, this might be the heater for you.
- LED display.
- Programmable thermostat.
- Remote control.
- No handle, no wheels design makes moving this space heater challenging to move around.
- One of the more expensive models on our list.
Trustech offers a 1-year warranty.
Even when limiting the field almost only to 1500W portable space heaters, the models we named as a “Best Electric Space Heater” for our Top 10 list represent a diverse array of offerings. From oscillating towers to ultra-compact designs to high-tech infrared heaters, all the space heaters on our list can be the right choice for you depending on your needs.
For a highly compact, budget-friendly option you can store in the closet when unused or easily bring with you on the road or in the RV, the andily space heater is very worth considering. For individuals who want a non-oscillating option that delivers as much heat as possible, all blowing directly on him or her while they are working at the desk or watching tv, the Presto heat dish may be the way to go. For people who don’t intend to move the heater around much, but want to heat an ample space, we would consider the Dr Heater a top candidate, and the radiator-style design from Pelonis.
Another factor to consider when purchasing a space heater is that a large proportion of the cost to operate a space heater comes not from the original purchase price but its impact on your electric bill. Used thoughtfully, a space heater actually can help you save money on energy by reducing the need to heat unused spaces. However, misused space heaters can cost upwards of $100 per month to operate if left running, so be mindful! This also means that features such as low-energy, eco-friendly settings, and energy-efficient designs can end up paying for themselves many times over in the long run.
Whichever space heater you choose, you really can’t go wrong with a “Best Electric Space Heater” off our Top 10 list. However, if we had to pick one of these space heaters as our top pick we would go with the PELONIS Electric Radiator Heater. This is because of its easy portability from one room to the next, and because of how much heat it puts out with its price tag. You’ll get much value out of what you pay for with this electric heater.
Last update on 2021-12-02 at 11:52 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API